Here at Wootton Park, we do enjoy keeping busy and taking on new challenges. Lockdown 2020 has actually given us a little bit of breathing space to do this. What a buzz it’s been to rescue and re-home two beehives; meet our new bees!
Having previously never entertained the idea of beekeeping, it’s been a very exciting and fast-paced learning curve. Luckily, we are having lots of fun in the process.
The protective suits have taken a little getting used to but we are thrilled with the honey our new friends have been able to produce.
As well as learning the do’s and don’ts of beekeeping, we’ve been learning lots of fascinating facts about our furry friends.
Here are 5 fascinating facts about bees…
- There can be up to 50,000 bees in a hive.
- The honey bee is the THIRD most important domestic animal after cattle and pigs and ranks ahead of poultry.
- A THIRD of what we eat is thanks to the honey bee due to pollination.
- The character of a colony of bees comes from the QUEEN – change the queen and the colony will change.
- A bee will visit 2 MILLION flowers and fly 60,000 miles to produce one pound of honey.